December 31, 2013

Packing Up/Shipping Out

As an exhibiting artist, I spend a lot of time preparing my work for shipment to various venues throughout the United States and Europe.  It takes a lot of time and paperwork too.  I'm not complaining - I am grateful for the exhibition opportunities.

Three works going out this week.  How are you spending the last hours of 2013?


Linking to:

December 20, 2013

Star of Christmas

I love our little Christmas tree. It sits on a table in the living room.  I leave the lights on all day - so enchanting!  The tree is trimmed with red star garlands - they sparkle and make me smile.

Linking to:

December 17, 2013

The BC Divas

I belong to a book club.  We call ourselves the Book Club Divas.  Over the years (at least 15) new divas has joined and left us too.  We number 11 now - perfect - in every way.  We women care about each other.  They are my closest friends.  I love each and every one of them.  We take turns hosting our annual Christmas Party.  I am the self-appointed photographer of our group.  I am trying to master the manual mode on my dslr camera.  It's a love/hate relationship.  Recently I purchased a SB-700 speedlight.  I'd really like to use it tomorrow night for our group photo.   I practiced for quite a while today taking self-portraits hoping to simulate the situation tomorrow night.  Wish me luck!

"Music Chart" texture courtesy of Kim Klassen

Linking to:

December 10, 2013

Life Book 2013

At last my journal is complete.  I enjoyed the process of making the journal covers.  It was a challenge - Life Book 2013 was all about challenge!

Here is how I completed the journal covers and put the whole thing together.

Fedex large box cut to 10 wide by 12-1/2 high.  Slots cut to match the button holes on journal pages.  (I thought it prudent to line the slots with masking tape to make the holes stronger.)

Washi tape adhered to the left edge of the front and back cover.  Decorative scrapbook papers were adhered to the cardboard.  (Not pictured here.)  I used a mixture of 50% PVA glue and 50% methyl cellolose.  This is a very strong glue used by book makers.  One must work fairly quickly as it sets up fast.  After both covers were covered with the scrapbook papers, they were set to dry overnight - with books on top to keep them lying flat when dry.

Four strips of twill tape (5/8" wide) cut - long enough to easily thread through button holes.  (A few drops of FrayCheck on each end.)  I used a safety pin as a needle.

Thread twill tape through button holes. 

I found it easiest to pile up the complete journal and thread all the holes at one time.

I had to fiddle with the twill tape a bit to get everything even.  Before knotting and cutting, I opened the journal to make sure the pages could easily be turned - tied square knot - trimmed twill tape and added more FrayCheck

My journal includes all of the project pages I made this year.  I solved the problem of the smaller pages by inserting them into a clear plastic page protector.

Even the huge piece found its way into the journal.  It folds up nicely and sits on the last page.  I was so pleased that worked out since it's one of my favorites!

Completed journal

Linking to:

December 9, 2013

Buttoning Up 2013

Life Book 2013 is coming to an end.  It was fun to look over what I had accomplished in the project.  I remember creating each page and can hardly believe it was a year ago that I began - where did the time go?!

I spent a lot of time mulling over how to put this journal together.  I have mentioned here before - I like to use materials I have on hand.  I did not want to go out and spend any money on specialty papers to put the 2013 book together.  I have plenty of canvas in my stash.  A canvas piece cut to size with a layer of gesso added for stability.  3" x 12" strips were cut.  These strips were folded in half.  I spent the better part of two days preparing these strips and sewing 4 button holes onto each strip.  Each canvas strip was sewn joining two journal pages together.

5.0 zig zag stitch - leather sewing machine needle.  I found using paper clips rather than pins helped keep the pages in place while sewing.

The first page of the journal complete.

All of the journal pages are now complete.  Next step working on front and back covers.  I hope to finish this up before 2014 begins!